Business owners desire employees that are happy, healthy, and can complete the tasks required of them. Whether typing, operating heavy machinery, or performing manual labor, each task requires a healthy employee with a certain skill set. If employees are asked to perform tasks and can’t safely because of illness or injury, they can get hurt, and it can be detrimental to your business. Luckily, a CDL or DOT physical exam can help assess your employees to ensure that they can do their jobs safely. But what exactly is a DOT physical exam and what happens during this physical? At Total Urgent Care, we’re here to help guide you. Let us help you maximize work performance and reduce costs.
What Is a CDL? What About DOT?
A CDL, or commercial driver’s license, is required to operate commercial vehicles, especially the larger ones. Not all commercial drivers are required to complete these physicals, but most of them are since they travel across state lines. In many cases CDL physicals may be referred to as DOT physicals. DOT simply stands for the Department of Transportation. Now that you know what a CDL, or DOT, physical is, let’s talk about what’s covered during this physical.
What Does a DOT Physical Entail?
A number of things are screened during this physical to ensure that employees are healthy enough and able to do the job.
The physicals themselves are pretty cut and dry. Overall, they cover:
- Hearing. Drivers must be able to hear what is known as a “forced whisper” at a distance of five feet or less, with and without a hearing aid.
- Vision. If a driver cannot see correctly, especially without a form of aid, they may not be fit to drive.
- Blood Pressure. High blood pressure and irregular heartbeats could be an indication of an underlying issue.
- Urinalysis. Tests such as these help search for diabetes. A good employer wants to make sure that their employees are able to remain safe during work hours.
- Physical Examination. This covers a broad range of categories and ensures that your workers can fulfill their duties to the best of their ability.
What Else Can We Do for Employers?
At Total Urgent Care, we have a number of employer services available so you can keep your employees healthy and safe. Besides physicals, we also offer the following services:
- Drug and Alcohol Tests. Inebriation not only affects productivity but also safety. Keep your business and employees safe.
- eScreen Services. This third-party vendor allows employers to have negative employee testing results in hand within 15 minutes! Keep information safe and respond to situations quickly.
- Immunization Programs/TB Testing. We offer onsite vaccines at your business!
- Injury Treatment. Accidents happen, and when they do, you need someone who can help your workers get back to speed.
Ready to make a positive change in your employee healthcare? Check-in now or give us a call if you have any questions. With locations in Cut Off and Vidalia, we’re ready to help your businesses thrive. Get proper CDL/DOT physicals from the professionals you need at Total Urgent Care in Cut Off!